Google Authentication is two-factor authentication (2FA), which provides users an extra layer of security. Maybe you are not familiar with the name 2FA, but you might already use it on some platforms, for example, your social media account.
When you log in to your Instagram account with a new device, a text message containing an authentication code is sent to your phone. You enter the code and then log in successfully. What you’ve just completed is two-factor authentication.
Many systems and services only require one-factor authentication, which is a username + password combination. But unlike passwords, which may be easily compromised, two-factor authentication takes many forms, including SMS, emails, third-party authenticator app, or even a hardware key. By introducing two-factor authentication, the second layer of protection is added to your account.
This article is a step-by-step guide on how to enable Google Authentication on BTCEX. Please make sure to enable it before you trade.
1. Click [My Account]on the upper-right corner of the homepage.2. Go to [Account Security Settings], then you’ll see [Google Authentication].3. Click [Enable Google Authentication] to proceed.4. Before we start, make sure you’ve downloaded Google Authenticator on your phone.Install Google Authenticator: iOS | Android
5. Now you’ll see this page containing instructions on how to add BTCEX to your Google Authenticator.Please note down the 4 recovery codes on the bottom right corner and keep them safe. These codes are used to disable Google Authentication and unlock your account when you lost access to your mobile device or accidentally deleted the App without any backup.
Each recovery code can only be used once. Don’t lose them! If unfortunately you lost the codes or failed to recover your account with them, please contact BTCEX support team for help.
6. Now the easiest way to enable Google Authentication is to scan the QR code. To do that, open your Google Authenticator and tap the plus icon on the bottom right.7. Tap [Scan a QR Code] to continue.8. Scan the QR code below.9. BTCEX is now added to your Google Authenticator. Please keep the code to yourself.
10. Enter the 6-digit code in the box below and click [Enable]. You can tick the box above to enable Google Authentication upon logging in.11. As shown on this page, Google Authentication is successfully enabled.
12. If you cannot scan the QR code, you can also enter this code on Google Authenticator manually. Remember, don’t give this code to anyone.13. Open Google Authenticator App, and tap the plus icon on the bottom right.14. Tap [Enter a setup key].15. Enter the email address you registered with in the Account box and type in the code from Step 12.16. Set it as time-based then click [Add].17. BTCEX is now added to your Google Authenticator.Now you can go back to step 10, and enter the 6-digit code to enable Google Authentication.
If you want to disable Google Authentication
If you have access to your Google Authenticator, just type in the 6-digit code in the box below and click [Disable Google Authentication].As you can see on this page, Google Authentication has been disabled.If you accidentally deleted BTCEX account on your Google Authenticator or lost access to your mobile device, it’s time to use the recovery code. Click [Disable with recovery code].
Type in your BTCEX account password.Enter your recovery code and click [Confirm].Now, the Google Authentication has been successfully disabled for your account.